What should I expect from you as my tutor?
What is expected of me being your student?
Expectations of a Tutor:
- I am your tutor, mentor and coach. I will guide you through the content. Share my professional experiences and help students approach challenges with confidence.
- Be accessible and committed
- I will treat you with respect and everything we discuss is confidential.
- I will be patient and be non-judgemental, there is no shame here, if you don’t know how to do something, tell me and we can work on it. So what if I know you can’t do it, better to identify a weakness here (during tutoring) and work on it than in the real world.
- I don’t claim to know everything but you can expect I will know the content fairly thoroughly, if I don’t know it off by heart, I am able to find the information very quickly or direct you to the answer.
- If I get stuck for a long time or don’t know the material I will discount the session or give you more time to make up.
- You can expect I will teach you the tips and tricks, pitfalls and things to watchout for.
- If you ask me a question and I don’t know the answer I will follow up and find out for our next session or email you sometime after the session.
Expectations as a Student:
- I expect you to show ability and a desire to learn new skills.
- Accept responsibility for your own learning and development.
- Proactive and dedicated, I expect you to work hard, study not just during our tutoring session but in your own time.
- If you want additional homework and I give you additional practice questions or exercises that I think are worthwhile, I expect you have a fair attempt at them. (I’m not giving homework just because I enjoy it.)
- Open and prepared to accept feedback and guidance.
- There is no expectation of you to be “on time”. Do not get a speeding ticket or put yourself in danger getting to my house. I appreciate you coming to my house; you do not need to rush to be “on time”, I’m a pretty laid back person; if you are 10-15 minutes late, that’s perfectly fine. However for other aspects of your life you may need to be very punctual e.g. job interview, other appointments etc.
- If there are other students after you, I expect you to try to be on time.